Information for Developers
New Water Service Installation Hints:
After a main has been placed in service and the water service permit issued, use the following procedure to convert a 3/4-inch or one-inch deadhead service to an active metered service:
- Locate the deadhead service using location dimensions described on the permit. The depth of the deadhead service will be approximately four feet and it lies horizontally.
- Uncover the entire portion of the deadhead service that is behind the curb (approximately 50 inches) using only hand tools. Caution: Contractors are responsible for any damage to the services.
- Carefully bend the pipe until the curb stop valve is in a vertical position with the tip of a 3/4-inch valve located 13 inches (plus or minus two inches) below the surface of the curb and 24 inches (plus or minus six inches) behind the curb. The top of a one-inch valve should be located 16 inches (plus or minus two inches) below the surface and 21 inches (plus or minus six inches) behind the curb.
Note: If the deadhead has not been located after excavating two feet in both directions from the dimensions indicated on the permit and five feet deep, contact DWU's Distribution Division (214-670-8042) for assistance.
- If water is needed to complete construction and inspection, connect the private service line directly to the curb stop valve. Exercise care to prevent twisting the deadhead service line or damaging the curb stop valve.
- Mark the service connection by etching, chiseling or painting a "W" on the curb.
- The plumbing inspector must perform an inspection at this point.
- Backfill the excavation to prevent damage or freezing of the service connection.
Note: If concrete is to be poured adjacent to the curb at the location of the service, the contractor must notify DWU's Distribution Division (214-670-8042) 48 hours before pouring concrete. Uncover the deadhead connection as described in preceding steps 1, 2 and 3, then Distribution personnel will install a meter and meter box.
The installation will be coordinated with grading operations so that the meter box can be installed at the proper grade. Final adjustments to the grade of the meter box will be the responsibility of the contractor. If concrete is poured over the service connection, Distribution personnel will remove the concrete at the contractor's expense.
If concrete work is not required, notify DWU's Distribution Division (214-670-8042) after receiving notice of final inspection from Building Inspection. Uncover deadhead connection as described in preceding steps 1, 2 and 3, then Distribution personnel will install a meter and meter box. If you have any questions about this procedure, call DWU's Distribution Division at (214) 670-8042.