Court & Detention Services - Citations
Payments by mail are accepted with postmark dates honored. Online payments may be made at www.dallascityhall.com.
Full citation payments, attorney and cash bonds for arrested defendants will be accepted at the City Detention Center at 1600 Chestnut. Open 24/7, including weekends and holidays.
Failure to pay fine and fees or to appear or respond by mail per the instructions may prevent you from registering your motor vehicle and from renewing your driver's license. Additionally, a $60 delinquent fee will be added. There may also be a $30 Failure to Appear fee and a 30% collection service fee added to the total.
Options for Satisfying Citations
Only the person who received the citation can appear with a photo ID to address a ticket option unless the cited person is a juvenile. Persons wishing to satisfy a ticket or citation have the following options:
- Request a court date within 21 calendar days of receiving a citation,
- Pay the full fine amount by cash, credit card, or money order/check payable to the City of Dallas, in person, by mail to: 2014 Main, Room 105, Dallas, TX 75201 or online at www.dallascityhall.com,
- Request Driver Safety Course on moving traffic violations only, within 21 days of receiving the citation, with Texas Driver's License, proof of insurance, and pay an administrative fee,
- Request to perform work release/community service,
- Request a payment plan.
- You must be at least 18 years of age and appear in person at the Municipal Court Building at 2014 Main Street to complete the application form with acceptable photo identification. Acceptable photo identification includes the following:
- Valid Texas or Out of State Driver's License
- Mexican Driver's License or Matrícula Consular
- Valid Texas or Out of State Identification
- Military Identification
- Current U.S. University Identification (Colleges), etc.
- Immigration Resident
- Mexican Voter Registration
- Texas Department of Corrections Parolee Card
- Current U.S. Government Issued Identification
- Concealed Handgun License
- Application must include personal information plus two personal references including name, addresses and contact phone numbers.
- You must be prepared to pay 30% down and thereafter make 3 monthly payments each month to satisfy the entire balance within 90 days.
- An additional $25.00 fee will be assessed on each citation if the full payment amount of the citation is not received within the first 30 days of the payment contract agreement.
- Payment can be made at the Customer Service Windows located at Court and Detention Services, Municipal Building, 2014 Main Street, 1st floor or by mail,
- Failure to Maintain Financial Responsibility (Insurance)
If you receive a citation for Failure to Maintain Financial Responsibility, you will need the following information to address this citation:
- A copy of your Declarations Page from your insurance policy covering the time period in question
- A copy of the citation
- Your Drivers' License
You may submit this information to the Court for review and judicial ruling in the following ways:
- You must appear in person to Proof or Plea within 21 calendar days of receiving a citation. The hours are: Monday – Thursday from 8:30 am until 10:45 am and 1:00 pm until 3:30 pm, Friday from 8:30 am until 10:45 am, and Saturday from 8:00 am until 11:45 am. You must have a copy of the citation.
- By mail, you may mail the above listed information to –
City of Dallas, Municipal Court
2014 Main St. Room 105
Dallas, TX 75201
You have 21 days from receipt of a citation to take action on the citation. Please be sure to enclose a copy of your drivers' license if you mail the above listed information. Please note that by utilizing the mail for the requested information, may not prevent your citation from going into warrant status.
If a person decides they do not want a trial and wish to enter a plea of guilty or "nolo contendere" (no contest), the fine can be paid, with photo identification, at the Municipal Court Customer Service Windows at 2014 Main Street
Payment Methods for Court Fines and Detention Bonds
The Department of Court and Detention Services will accept cash, check, money orders, Master Card, or Visa.
Payment of Parking Ticket or Extension of Time
Parking enforcement and parking ticket adjudication are not under the jurisdiction of Court and Detention Services. Please refer to the Public Works and Transportation webpage for Parking FAQ.
Driver Safety Course
If you have not participated in a driver safety course to satisfy a moving violation within the preceding twelve (12) months, you may request this option by mail, by submitting the following three documents within 21 days of receiving the citation. (Postmark is honored):
- Photocopy of a Valid Texas Driver's License
- Photocopy of Proof of Current Financial Responsibility (Insurance)
- Pay the administrative fee with a check or money order, payable to the City of Dallas, for $112.10 or $137.10, if you are cited for speeding in a school zone. Please remember to write your citation number on your check or money order to ensure proper processing.
||Court & Detention Services
2014 Main, Room 105
Dallas, Texas 75201
Or, bring your documentation "in person" to 2014 Main, 1st Floor.
After receipt and acceptance of the documentation, a packet of instructions will be provided with instructions for completion of this program.
If a person has exceeded the posted speed limit by 25 or more miles, they will not be eligible to request this program without judicial authorization; therefore, a court date must be requested for consideration into this program.