Code Compliance Services
Restaurant and Bar Inspection Division | Food Handler Certification
Mandatory Food Handler Certification
Effective February 1, 2006 all Food Establishments permitted by the City of Dallas Restaurant/Bar Inspection District will be required to have all employed food handlers attend a City of Dallas Food Handler's Certification Course if:
- The food establishment scores 70 or below, out of a possible 100 points, on an inspection.
- The food establishment scores from 71 to 79, out of a possible 100 points, on a re-inspection in which a critical violation is found.
- The food establishment has the same critical violations found twice within any 12 month period during inspections.
- The food establishment has a confirmed foodborne illness case or outbreak.
However anyone may register and attend the classes.
Restaurant Food Handler Training Class Schedule 2011 (pdf)
RestaurantFood Handler Certification Application (pdf)
Restaurant Food Handler Training Class (pdf)
Employees must pre-register for the Food Handlers Training class by applying for the course and paying a non-refundable $55.00.
This application along with the registration fee must be presented in person or by mail to the Restaurant and Bar Inspection Division located at 7901 Goforth Rd, Dallas, Texas 75238.
All applicants applying by mail must provide their full name in printed form. Also list the date and time the class will be attended. Please Note: Applicants may only register for one class per registration.
Arrive 15 minutes earlier than the class time you desire to attend.
To receive an application or for additional information you may contact the Restaurant and Bar Inspection Division by phone at (214) 670-8083.
About the Course
Each class will last approximately 2 hours.
The course will focus on basic food service hygiene, food safety requirements, and general food service sanitation.
Food Handlers Training class will emphasize the following food safety related issues:
- Personal hygiene
- Proper hand washing including when and how one should wash
- Illnesses/conditions that preclude individuals from handling food or working at their job, i.e., diarrhea, vomiting, contagious illness, severe acne, boils, certain skin conditions, jaundice, etc.
- Use of plastic gloves, tongs, forks, spoons, tissues, etc. to avoid bare hand contact
- Approved food sources: no home-prepared foods
- Cross contamination
- Food temperature danger zones
- Safe hot & cold holding temperatures: thawing & reheating
- Food storage
- Sanitizing dishes, utensils and food contact surfaces
Food Handler Class Location
Restaurant and Bar Inspection Division
7901 Goforth Road, Dallas, TX 75238