Code Compliance Services
Restaurant and Bar Inspection Division | Dogs on Patios
(ordinance allowing dogs on restaurant patios)
On May 28, 2008 the Dallas City Council amended section 17-10.2 of the Chapter 17 Dallas City
Code. This ordinance provides a variance process and establishes criteria to allow dogs on restaurant patios under certain conditions. The frequently asked questions below reflect the recent changes.
City of Dallas Approved Dog Friendly Food Establishments
- Café Lago – 9219 Garland Road
- Barley House – 5612 SMU Blvd.
- Beckley Brewhouse – 1111 N Beckley
- Bolsa – 614 Davis
- Bread Winners – 3301 McKinney
- Café Brazil – 3847 Cedar Springs
- Celebration – 4503 W Lover Lane
- Coffee House Café – 6150 Frankford
- Eatzis – 3403 Oak Lawn
- Eatzis – 5600 W. Lovers
- Elevation Burger – 8611 Hillcrest #195
- Eno’s Pizza – 407 Bishop
- Fuzzy’s Taco Shop – 6465 E. Mockingbird #380
- Ginger Man – 2718 Boll
- Gloria’s – 600 N. Bishop
- Gloria’s – 3223 Lemmon
- Gloria’s – 4140 Lemmon
- Hunky’s – 3930 Cedar Springs
- Il Cane Rosso – 2612 Commerce
- J. Black’s Feel Good Lounge – 2409 Henderson
- Katy Trail Ice House – 3136 Routh
- Mi Cocina – 3699 McKinney
- On The Border – 3130 Knox
- Parigi – 3311 Oaklawn
- Rise 1 – 5360 W Lovers Lane
- Sol Neito – 6434 Mockingbird
- St. Pete’s Dancing Marlin – 2730 Commerce
- Starbucks Coffee – Allen
- Starbucks Coffee – 3699 McKinney
- Starbucks Coffee – 9440 Garland
- Starbucks – 5350 W Lovers Lane
- State & Allen – 2400 Allen
- Taco Diner – 3699 McKinney
- TCBY/ Subway – 6402 Mockingbird
- The Dish – 4123 Cedar Springs
- The Pearl Cup – 1900 Henderson B—restricted to front patio
- Tom Tom Asian – 3699 McKinney (West Village)
- Top Golf – 8787 Park Ln. Building 1
- Uptown Pub – 3605 McKinney
- Urban Dog Coffee – 2720 Oaklawn
- Villa- O – 4515 Travis
- Village Burger – 3699 McKinney
- Vino 100 – 2909 McKinney Ste A
- Woodlands – 6073 Forrest Ln.—restricted to side patio
- Y.O. Ranch – 702 Ross
- Zuzu – 4140 Abrams
Frequently Asked Questions about Dogs on Patios
Will all restaurants with outdoor patios allow dogs now?
No, restaurants must choose to apply for a variance to allow dogs on their outdoor patios. Equally important, these establishments must meet certain conditions that protect public health.
How will I know whether a restaurant is permitted to allow dogs on its outdoor patio?
Permitted "dog friendly" businesses will post a sign at their entrance and Dallas will list all permitted "dog friendly" food establishments online at dallascityhall.com.
Dog Friendly Restaurant Sign (PDF, Sample Only)
What are the steps for a restaurant to obtain a variance to allow dogs on their outdoor patio?
- Apply at 7901 Goforth Road, Dallas, TX 75238, Monday-Friday, between 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.;
- Make payment of $100.00 dollars for a two-year variance;
- Inspection of the establishment is scheduled and conducted, and on-site staff is provided regulations on cleanliness and health measures; and
- Upon approval by a City sanitarian, a dog-friendly sign is posted at the entrance.
Will dogs enter through the restaurant interior?
No, restaurants approved for this variance must feature a separate, outside entrance to enter the patio, so that dogs will not enter the interior of the food establishment. Further, doors equipped with self-closing devices must be provided at all entrances to the outdoor patio from the interior of the food establishment.
Can any food preparation to be done in outside patios?
No food preparation, including mixing drinks or serving ice, may be performed in the outdoor patio area.
How will cleanliness be maintained on outside patios?
The outdoor patio must be continuously maintained free of visible dog hair, dog dander, and other dog-related waste or debris. The outdoor patio must be hosed down or mopped at each shift change or every six hours. Waste created from a dog’s bodily functions must be cleaned up with animal friendly chemicals within five minutes of occurrence.
Can staff handle the dogs while at the outside patio?
Restaurant staff may not pet or touch the dogs while on-duty. A dog may not be given any
food (including, but not limited to, dog kibbles, biscuits, and edible treats) while in the outdoor patio
area, but may be given water in a disposable container.
What other requirements exist for allowing dogs on patios?
- Dogs are not allowed on any space that customers use, e.g. tables, chairs, countertops, or play areas.
- Owner must maintain control of their dog on a leash.
- Dogs must wear current rabies vaccination tags on their collar.
How do I register a health concern or complaint about a particular food establishment?
Dallas residents may call 3-1-1 or submit a Restaurant/Food complaint online (look under the Code Compliance category) at dallascityhall.com.
For Restaurant/Food Complaint or to a Report Foodborne Illness
To report a Smoking/Restaurant Complaint
Who do I contact for further information about this variance?
Contact the Restaurant / and Bar Inspections Division at (214) 670-8083.