Code Compliance Services
Consumer Health Division | Dogs on Patios
(ordinance allowing dogs on restaurant patios)
On May 28, 2008 the Dallas City Council amended section 17-10.2 of the Chapter 17 Dallas City
Code. This ordinance provides a variance process and establishes criteria to allow dogs on restaurant patios under certain conditions. The frequently asked questions below reflect the recent changes.
City of Dallas Approved Dog Friendly Food Establishments
- Beck’s Prime – 4002 Oak Lawn
- Beck’s Prime – 5931 Forest
- Beck’s Prime – 4622 Greenville
- Capitol Pub – 2401 N Henderson
- Dish Restaurant – 4123 Cedar Springs #110
- Ginger Man – 2718 Boll
- Gloria’s – 600 N. Bishop
- Jacks Chill Grill – 2303 Pittman
- Jorge’s Tex-Mex Café – 1722 Routh #122
- Mario’s Mexican & Salvidorian – 5404 Lemmon
- Mi Cocina – 6332 La Vista
- Mi Cocina – 3699 McKinney
- Mi Cocina – 11661 Preston #138
- Penne Pomodoro – 11661 Preston #143
- Primo’s Tex Mex Grill – 3309 McKinney
- Relish – 2000 Woodall Rodgers #200
- Screen Door – 1722 Routh #132
- Soleo Mexican Restaurant – 8611 Hillcrest #100
- St. Pete’s Dancing Marlin – 2730 Commerce
- Starbucks Coffee – 6859 Arapaho
- Start – 4814 Greenville
- Tei An – 1722 Routh #110
- The Commissary – 1722 Routh
- The Dubliner – 2818 Greenville
- The Grill on the Alley – 13270 Dallas Pkwy #1155
- Union Bear – 3699 McKinney #C-306
- Urban Taco – 3411 McKinney Ave
- Urban Vines Wine Bistro – 9219 Garland #1102
- WBC Bottle Room – 2116 Greenville
Frequently Asked Questions about Dogs on Patios
Will all restaurants with outdoor patios allow dogs now?
No, restaurants must choose to apply for a variance to allow dogs on their outdoor patios. Equally important, these establishments must meet certain conditions that protect public health.
How will I know whether a restaurant is permitted to allow dogs on its outdoor patio?
Permitted "dog friendly" businesses will post a sign at their entrance and Dallas will list all permitted "dog friendly" food establishments online at dallascityhall.com.
Dog Friendly Restaurant Sign (PDF, Sample Only)
What are the steps for a restaurant to obtain a variance to allow dogs on their outdoor patio?
- Apply at 7901 Goforth Road, Dallas, TX 75238, Monday-Friday, between 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.;
- 2. Make payment of $127.00 dollars for a two-year variance;
- Inspection of the establishment is scheduled and conducted, and on-site staff is provided regulations on cleanliness and health measures; and
- Upon approval by a City sanitarian, a dog-friendly sign is posted at the entrance.
Will dogs enter through the restaurant interior?
No, restaurants approved for this variance must feature a separate, outside entrance to enter the patio, so that dogs will not enter the interior of the food establishment. Further, doors equipped with self-closing devices must be provided at all entrances to the outdoor patio from the interior of the food establishment.
Can food preparation be done in outside patios?
No food preparation, including mixing drinks or serving ice, may be performed in the outdoor patio area.
How will cleanliness be maintained on outside patios?
The outdoor patio must be continuously maintained free of visible dog hair, dog dander, and other dog-related waste or debris. The outdoor patio must be hosed down or mopped at each shift change or every six hours. Waste created from a dog’s bodily functions must be cleaned up with animal friendly chemicals within five minutes of occurrence.
Can staff handle the dogs while at the outside patio?
Restaurant staff may not pet or touch the dogs while on-duty. A dog may not be given any
food (including, but not limited to, dog kibbles, biscuits, and edible treats) while in the outdoor patio
area, but may be given water in a disposable container.
What other requirements exist for allowing dogs on patios?
- Dogs are not allowed on any space that customers use, e.g. tables, chairs, countertops, or play areas.
- Owner must maintain control of their dog on a leash.
- Dogs must wear current rabies vaccination tags on their collar.
How do I register a health concern or complaint about a particular food establishment?
Dallas residents may call 3-1-1 or submit a Restaurant/Food complaint online (look under the Code Compliance category) at dallascityhall.com.
For Restaurant/Food Complaint or to a Report Foodborne Illness
Who do I contact for further information about this variance?
Contact the Consumer Health Division at (214) 670-8083.